December 21, 2010 13

Secret Spidey Claus

By in Friends & Family, Photopalooza

WE HAVE SPIDERS LIVING IN OUR CHRISTMAS TREE. And not just one. Not just two. No no, like a whole colony of them. Emotions range from creeped-out-but-handling-it (Me) to going-to-die-of-terror-any-second (Adam). There appear to be (possibly?) two kinds of them, but we’re not sure. They seem to “jump” a bit more than we think spiders normally do. We’re not sure what a spider nest looks like, but we’ve located what we think may be a squirrel nest (?) around which side of the tree they seem to favor. We’re trying to keep them at bay, but we’re not sure how long we can. We hope this transmission reaches Earth and our families know we tried to fight.

Very graphic, up-close-and-personal photos of the spiders, after the jump:

(Click any image to enlarge)

OH GOD, IT’S LOOKING RIGHT AT US…

What concerns me most is that there seem to be TWO different kinds, approx. the same size, and then at least 1 smaller size of each. This is the tropical-looking speckled one.

Yes, Anna has put RAM in our tree. Which I’m now thankful for because it makes the spiders easier to spot.

There are very thin, very faint webs ALL OVER.

THEY LIKE TO WATCH US. (The spiders, not the peacocks)

If anyone knows anything about these or how to get rid of them — “Burn it to the ground” seems the most popular choice at the moment — PLEASE PLEASE let us know. Otherwise, we may be ending Christmas a tad sooner than expected.

(Also: Props to the Nikon DX 18-55mm kit lens that came with the D3000. It struggled, but in the end I was amazed at some of the macro shots it was able to achieve.)

Tags: , , , ,

13 Responses to “Secret Spidey Claus”

1. Lindsey says:

Covering the entire thing with soap bubbles works on spider-infested house plants…

2. Jonathan C says:

So, I got here through a friend of mine, and I had to go researching. The first spider you posted a picture of is definitely in the Jumping Spider family. The one on the hanging RAM looks like a classic female Jumping Spider, and the other pictures are probably the male. But as to what genus they might fall under, I haven’t the slightest…there are over 5000 species of Jumping Spider. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumping_spider

You might try submitting to http://www.whatsthatbug.com and see if he can tell you what kind it is! Good luck!

3. Anna says:

For anyone curious, after some rather nauseating, terrifying Googling I’m pretty sure they’re bold jumping spiders which are very common around North America and are also harmless to people.

4. Kevin says:

See you after the New Year! Or whenever you take down the arachnid condo.

5. Lauren says:

Ah! That happened to my coworker, after about a week he said most of them died on their own.

YIKES!

His only last advice is: “enjoy the sounds and the sights of your living christmas tree”.

6. Catherine says:

this website says “None of the insects or spiders that emerge after being carried in on a fresh-cut tree will cause any harm or damage to the tree, the house, the furnishings or the occupants. They cannot bite or sting and they will not live long enough to grow or multiply. Low levels of sap in the tree mean an inadequate food supply for aphids and other sap-sucking insects. They will quickly die of starvation or desiccation, whichever comes first. Similarly, spiders will not find adequate food for growth and development, so sadly they too will wander about for a brief period before they expire.” It also says you should just vacuum them up. No insecticides needed. 🙂

7. Katie says:

Well, now I understand why you and Adam were freaking out on Twitter last night. i would’ve been too!

8. The other Katie says:

I will never be coming to your house again. It has been nice knowing you. Also, I have a crapload of insecticide if you want some. I bought a three-pack last summer.

9. The other Katie says:

P.S. Not that I want to see it live, but that bug-eyed one is actually sorta cute.

10. Molly says:

Just Mother Nature’s way of saying don’t kill trees for xmas!
    I’m with Katie though, they are kinda cute.

11. Miranda says:

Matt, I LOVE the last picture. Adorable!

12. Adam says:

@Molly We’ve always gotten our tree from a locally-owned tree farm, where new seedlings are constantly being planted. I think overall it’s a more environmentally friendly option than buying a fake tree when you consider the manufacturing methods and materials, plus the impact of transportation if it’s being manufactured overseas.

It’s not like we went romping out in the woods and chopped down the first tree we came across.

13. MattD says:

Now that the tree is gone and out of the house and we’ve all survived, I just wanted to say THANK YOU EVERYONE for the support and suggestions! We all lived to see the New Year, have cleaned as best we can, and hopefully the spiders have moved on. Somewhat. Maybe.