This is a very traditional, no-frills take on mac and cheese — and it’s served us well — that we’ve been bringing to LUX-giving for several years.
Mac & Cheese
Adapted from BlogChef.net
Makes: One large pot
Takes: 30-45 minutes
1 pound (16 oz) uncooked pasta (we use rotini or radiatore)
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 cups milk
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 green pepper, diced
1/3 red onion, diced
3 scallions, sliced
3 strips of bacon, diced
- If using additional add-ins: cook bacon and/or vegetables in a skillet. Set aside.
- Cook elbow macaroni according to package directions.
- While the elbow macaroni is cooking, melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir in flour, salt and pepper. Cook for 2-3 minutes while stirring.
- Slowly add the milk and cook while stirring until the mixture becomes somewhat thick.
- Stir in cheese until melted. Remove from heat.
- Drain the elbow macaroni and add it to the cheese sauce. Stir to coat.
- Add in any additional add-ins. Stir to coat.
- Top of scallions (if desired). Salt and pepper to taste.